Head Lice Facts
The American Academy of Pediatrics estimates that 6-12 million people get head lice in the US each year. Contrary to some myths, lice are just as likely to infest a clean head as they are a dirty one. While the thought of bugs in a child’s hair may be upsetting – there’s no reason to panic!
Lice Clinics of America Los Alamitos offers some advice for head lice removal and prevention.
What Are Head Lice?
1. Head lice are tiny wingless insects.
2. They have 6 legs and do NOT fly, jump or hop, but they move very fast.
3. They are human parasites that feed on the blood of the infested person.
4. They obtain the blood through a person’s scalp, which is what makes them itch.
How Prevent the Spread of Head Lice:
1. The main way lice are spread is head-to-head contact.
2. Do not share hair-related personal items.
3. Avoid sleepovers and slumber parties during lice outbreaks
4. Machine wash and dry, at high temperatures, any bedding and clothing used by anyone having lice.
5. Call Lice Clinics of America Los Alamitos for Lice Removal in Southern California
How Big are Lice and Their Eggs?
1. Nits (or eggs) are about the size of the letter “O” on the back of a penny
2. Nits are attached to the hair with a strong glue-like substance but can be removed by Lice Clinics of America Los Alamitos , the exclusive regional provider of The AirAllé™ head lice treatment system
3. Adult lice are about the size of a sesame seed or the size of the word “ONE” on the back of a penny.
About the Nit, the Nymph and the Louse:
1. One nit can hatch after 8-12 days and then becomes a nymph (a young louse).
2. A female louse will become an adult in 3-5 days and lay 6 or more nits per day.
3. Lice can live about 30 days on your head in their lifetime – that can be a lot of eggs if left untreated.
Where Do Head Lice Come From?
1. Nobody is certain about the origin of head lice.
2. Head lice are everywhere and can even be dated back to mummies in ancient Egypt.
How Do Head Lice Stay on My Hair?
1. Lice have tiny but powerful claws that hold onto the hair.
2. Lice Clinics of America Los Alamitos professional head lice removal system dries up lice in 30 minutes by blowing warm air at the hair’s roots, thus causing the release of the lice from your hair.
Can You Get Lice from Your Pet?
1. No. Lice do NOT live on animals.
2. Pets do NOT play a role in the spread of head lice.
3. Head lice are HUMAN parasites and do not live on animals.